Monday, June 22, 2009

National Gallery on the Mall

The Smithsonian is probably one of the greatest gifts ever given to Americans. All of these fabulous museums free for one and all, regardless of race, creed or inclination. This is what makes an American proud. There is, however, another jewel nestled among the museums on the mall - The National Gallery of Art.

When I first visited Washington D.C. as an eigth grader, I don't remember much besides getting sick on the bus and my classmates making fun of me. When I returned to Washington D.C. several years later, I was surprised by how much I loved a mall that didn't have a food court. The National Gallery of Art is far and away my favorite place in D.C. I can spend hours just looking at my favorite paintings. The painting below is my most favorite painting. It is almost like a mural and when I get lost in it, I think I can smell the seabreeze. And, the brunette woman bears a strong resemblance to the person I see in the mirror, so the painting feels personal, as well. I like to think of her as the best friend to the favorite of the Emir. A Rhoda of her generation - someone I identify with. Anyway, the painting is beautiful with lovely detail on the Persian patterns on the women's clothing. It is literally a work of art.

Favorite of the Emir, 1879, Jean Joseph Benjamin Constant


So check out the NGA website: www.nga.gov. Two favorite museums on/near the mall are also worthy of a visit: National Museum of the American Indian www.nmai.si.edu and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum www.ushmm.org.

No comments: